ACDELCO GM OE DEXRON-VI TRANSMISSION FLUID
ACDelco GM OE DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid is the most recent release in the well-established DEXRON series of automotive transmission fluids. It provides consistent shift performance, even in extreme conditions. DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid is suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following requirements: fully licensed and approved by GM, recommended for use in GM transmissions model year 2006 and newer calling for DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid (replaces DEXRON-III and DEXRON-II(E), or recommended for any other vehicle manufacturer that calls for DEXRON-VI, III, or II(E). ACDelco GM OE DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid is not for use in CVT (Continuously Variable Transmissions) or DCT (Dual Clutch Transmissions) which require specialized fluids.
Can I use DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid as a replacement for a previous DEXRON transmission fluid?
Yes, DEXRON-VI fluid can be used on any vehicle type that calls for DEXRON transmission fluid.
Does my transmission fluid need to be changed as regularly as my oil?
No, transmission fluid is designed to last much longer than most engine oils. Always refer to your vehicle owner’s manual to identify how often and when your transmission fluid should be changed. Severe usage and regular usage descriptions are provided.
Are there common causes of automatic transmission fluid contamination?
Yes, contaminants most often come from metal filings or “burnt” byproducts from extreme usage or fluid degradation over time.
Are there preventative steps I can take to minimize contamination?
Yes, inspect the fluid using the dip stick at every oil change to determine if degradation or contamination is occurring.
Can I identify which automatic transmission fluid(s) are applicable/appropriate for my vehicle?
Yes, refer to your vehicle owner’s manual for the specific fluid for your vehicle.
- When the fluid becomes contaminated, drain the fluid, flush the system with DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid, and refill with new fluid.
- Make sure to flush the transmission with DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid, not a solvent.
- Do not add any aftermarket additives to the fluid – they are not necessary and should not be used.
- Transmission fluid should be replaced when it becomes contaminated.
- Anything but transmission fluid in the transmission is considered a contaminant.
- Always use the recommended type of transmission fluid in your vehicle, as referred to in your owner’s manual.
- Typical fluid change intervals for automatic transmissions range from 40,000 to 60,000 miles depending on the severity of the usage. See your owner’s manual.
- In addition to fluid replacement, it is important to regularly check your transmission fluid level.
- A low transmission fluid level can cause the vehicle to shift improperly or not at all.
- Stay vigilant – warning signs of low transmission fluid may not appear until serious damage has already occurred.